Bayern Munich celebrate winning their second FIFA Club World Cup - and their sixth trophy of the season ©Getty Images

A second half goal from Benjamin Pavard helped German side Bayern Munich secure a second FIFA Club World Cup title after they beat Mexican outfit Tigres UANL 1-0 in Qatar.

The UEFA Champions League winners, who previously won the event in 2013, dominated proceedings at the Education City Stadium in Al Rayyan and looked to have taken the lead in the 18th minute before an intervention from the video assistant referee.

Joshua Kimmich’s shot from distance whistled into the net but the goal was chalked off as it was deemed that Robert Lewandowski was offside and was blocking the line of vision of Tigres keeper Nahuel Guzman, meaning Lewandowski was judged as interfering with play.

Leroy Sane hit the post before the break for Bayern who despite dominating could not find the breakthrough.

The crucial moment came on the hour mark when a Kimmich cross was headed towards goal by Lewandowski before being blocked by Guzman.

Unfortunately for Tigres, Guzman was unable to prevent Pavard from scoring at the second attempt from close range.

Although Pavard was initially judged offside, the video assistant referee looked at the incident again and overturned the on field decision, ruling the goal as legal.

Bayern had chances to make their victory more comfortable when an effort from Corentin Tolisso was pushed on to the post but the Germans held on to ensure they became only the second team after Barcelona in 2009-2010 to win six trophies in a single season.

Bayern’s sextuple of honours consists of the FIFA Club World Cup, German Super Cup, German Cup, Bundesliga, Champions League and European Super Cup.

Earlier in the day the third place playoff was contested between Brazilian side Palmeiras and Egyptian team Al Ahly.

Copa Libertadores winners Palmeiras dominated proceedings against the African champions Al Ahly, who came closest to breaking the deadlock when they had a goal disallowed midway through the second half.

Nigerian striker Junior Ajayi thought he had scored after an Elsoulia volley was saved by the keeper, although he was judged to be offside.

Neither side could find the breakthrough in the 90 minutes sending the match to a penalty shoot-out.

Mohamed El Shenawy proved the hero for Al-Ahly saving two penalties during a shoot-out where only one of the first five penalties was successful.