By Duncan Mackay
January 18 - Thomas Lund (pictured), the chief operating officer of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), today revealed that he is due to fly to London later this month to try to sort out the venue for his sport at the 2012 Olympics as they continue to resist attempts to make them move to Wembley Arena.
At the top of Lund's agenda will be the length of the journey time from the Olympic Village in Stratford, which is in East London, to Wembley, which is located in the North West of the capital.
Paul Deighton, the chief executive of London 2012, has claimed that it takes 42 minutes to make the journey from the Olympic Village to Wembley, which is inside the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) guidelines of an hour.
He also promised that hotel accommodation will be provided for any players that wanted to stay closer to Wembley.
Lund said: "We are looking still at the Wembley option and have a site visit on January 29 and 30 when we will also have further discussions with LOCOG.
"The main issue is the time it takes to travel from the Olympic Village - it is much further than the original venue in North Greenwich and it remains unclear what kind of consistent travel times to Wembley can be reached.
"Hopefully we will be able to assess this better from a site visit."
But BWF is refusing to be rushed in making a decision and its Executive Board is not due to discuss the issue again until it meets during the All England Championships at Birmingham in March.
That means that the issue will not be resolved before the IOC Session in Vancouver next month.
London 2012 have already been criticised by Denis Oswald, the chairman of the IOC's Coordination Commission, for failing to reach a resolution.
London organisers initially tried to persuade boxing to move to Wembley but the sport refused to do so.
They then turned to badminton and rhythmic gymnastics in the hope that they would save around £20 million by not having to build the planned temporary venue called North Greenwich Arena 2.
The last IOC Session, in Copenhagen last October, had been told that London 2012 hoped to sort out the problem by the time of the IOC Executive Board last month.
That deadline has now come and gone and it is an embarrassment to London 2012 that it still has not been sorted out, although the deal seems a fait accompli as the proposed move has already been supported by the IOC and its President Jacques Rogge claimed last month that it was "almost finalised".
Lund said: "We will not make a decision until an Executive Board meeting in the middle of March, which takes place in Birmingham.
"We will spend the time until then having discussions to try to find a solution."
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
December 2009: Badminton still against move to Wembley for London 2012
November 2009: London decision to move badminton supported by IOC
November 2009: Exclusive - Sir Craig backs London 2012 in row with badminton
November 2009: We could not justify temporary venue in this climate says Deighton
October 2009: Exclusive - Badminton and rhythmic gymnastics must move says Johnson