The number of fans allowed each day at the French Open has been cut to 5,000 due to rising coronavirus figures.
Plans were in place to let in 11,500 spectators at the tournament which is due to start next week – with Roland Garros divided into three zones.
The two main courts – Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen – were set to welcome 5,000 people each, while the Court Simonne-Mathieu was due to host 1,500.
However, the French Tennis Federation (FTF) confirmed Paris police "promoted" them to reduce the numbers as the country battles to control the spread of the coronavirus.
According to a report by The Independent, France has registered 13,215 new COVID-19 cases and 123 deaths in the past 24 hours with the Paris region reporting 2,311 new hospitalisations and 86 deaths.
A statement from FTF read: "The evolving hygiene situation in the Paris area has prompted the Paris police department to limit the number of spectators who may enter the 12 hectares Roland Garros site on a daily basis to 5,000 during the tournament.
Since the beginning of the health crisis, the French Tennis Federation has worked hand in hand with the state in order to meet the demands of the ongoing sanitary situation.
"The FFT will therefore assume the responsibility of organising the tournament with a new lay out," said a statement on the tournament's website.
“It is important for the sporting, social and economic life of the country that a major event like Roland-Garros can be put on while respecting health imperatives.
"Such will be the case for the 2020 tournament.
"The FFT is conscious of how disappointing this news will be for those who will not be able to come to the stadium due to the reduction in capacity.
"We would like to thank you for your understanding and your dogged support of the tournament.
"Roland Garros 2020 will set an example by endorsing, promoting and defending its cherished sporting values."
The federation has said the cleaning and disinfecting of the various sites will be stepped up, with hand sanitiser dispensers set to be installed around the venue.
The tournament was initially scheduled to start on May 24 before being moved to September 27 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Earlier this month, world number one Ashleigh Barty announced she would not be defending her women's singles title in Paris due to coronavirus concerns.