Indian coach Pullela Gopichand claimed qualification for the badminton events at next year's Olympic Games in Tokyo was "unfair" on players before calling on the sport's governing body to reconsider the system.
Gopichand told the Press Trust of India that the system introduced by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) was putting "a lot of strain" on players.
The Tokyo 2020 qualification period for badminton begins at the end of next month.
The BWF rankings list published on April 30 next year will determine which players compete.
Some 38 quota places will initially be given out for the men's and women's singles, with 16 pairs set to compete in the doubles events.
Last year, the BWF made controversial changes to its structure, making it compulsory for the world's top 15 men's and women's singles players and top 10 doubles pairs to take part in at least 12 World Tour events.
Gopichand claimed this had made it "more difficult" for players and said it had contributed to a rise in the number of injuries.
"I understand it is very important that players earn a good amount of money and the prize money goes up but it is also unfair that Olympic qualification should last a year," Gopichand told PTI.
"If you win an All-England or a World Championship or Asian or European Championship, there is a moment where you could think of direct qualification for these five six slots at least, something like an Olympic quota, rather than spreading it over a year.
"It just makes a mad rush, travelling across the world.
"It is a lot of strain and it is making things difficult for players."
insidethegames has contacted the BWF for comment.