Children’s rights organisation Terre des Hommes have claimed the Rio 2016 Olympic Games had a "devastating impact" on thousands of young people.
In a briefing entitled "Breaking Records: Child rights violations during Rio 2016 Olympics" the organisation used a series of statistics and videos to outline what they deem to be child rights violations, which they claim were committed before and during the Games.
"Even though the Games are now over, our Children Win campaign remains dedicated to highlighting the plight of children and young people whose lives have been affected by the 2016 Rio Olympics," said Ignacio Packer, secretary general for Terre des Hommes.
"Furthermore at Terre des Hommes we remain resolute in our call to the International Olympic Committee - and all Organising Committees of mega sporting events - to ensure that child rights become a fundamental and non-negotiable part of any Host City Contract and is embedded in the entire life cycle of these events."
Terre des Hommes claim that 22,000 families were evicted from their homes since Rio was chosen to host the Olympics, and say many were moved to a Government housing programme called "Minha Casa, Minha Vida".
More than half of the programme was deemed to have been controlled by militia gangs at one point, according to the organisation.
It is also claimed that interviews showed "strong evidence" that police abuse of children and adolescents living on the streets increased, including severe beatings.
The percentage of occupancy in juvenile detention centres in the Olympic year rose by 48 per cent from 2015, the organisation said.
Terre des Hommes also state that as a result of the "severe level of overcrowding and poor conditions of the units", on the day of the Olympic Opening Ceremony on August 5 a fire broke out in a cell which resulted in the deaths of two young people and seven suffering severe burns.
Eight people were reportedly killed by the police over the course of the two weeks of the Games, although 90 per cent of tourists rated security as "good" or "excellent".
Other allegations include that the police used "indiscriminate force" against young people to break up peaceful protests against the Olympics, using tear gas, batons, hand grenades and rubber bullets.
The organisation claim at least 75 under-18s were detained in protests without a legitimate reason.
Terre des Hommes have stated they will discuss the main findings of their briefing with the IOC and will urge them to include clauses that guarantee the respect for child rights in the foreseen revision of the 2024 Host City Contract.
"The IOC is strongly committed to protecting human rights in all Games-related activities and has in place all the necessary tools to deal with any alleged violation that is brought to its attention," an IOC spokesperson told insidethegames.
"We have a systematic and ongoing relationship with a number of external organisations from civil society and have entered into constructive dialogue with them.
"Whenever we receive detailed information/allegations from them related to the Games we have undertaken to obtain precise and clear responses from the local Organising Committees, and through them, the local authorities.
"We did so successfully on a number of instances relating to Sochi for example. Where cases are identified – and clearly related to the staging of the Olympic Games – the IOC has a long-standing commitment to follow-up on those issues.
"The IOC has met with Children Win last week.
"During the meeting, the director of the Public Affairs and Social Development through Sport, Philip French, said that the IOC will of course read their report and look at the recommendations. He also reiterated that the IOC can only act on issues that are directly linked to the organisation of the Olympic Games."
insidethegames has contacted Rio 2016 for comment.