The adjudicatory chamber of FIFA's Ethics Committee has opened proceedings against Helmut Sandrock, the former general secretary of the German Football Association (DFB), as the probe into the 2006 World Cup continues.
Sandrock was the tournament director of the Local Organising Committee for football's premier tournament a decade ago and was the subject of an investigation launched by FIFA on March 22, alongside five other senior officials.
Now, the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee has ruled that Sandrock has violated three FIFA rules concerning conduct, loyalty and duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting.
Dr Cornel Borbély, the chairman of the investigatory chamber, has recommended a fine of CHF50,000 (£387,000/$516,000/€458,000) as well as a punishment of "social work".
"The adjudicatory chamber has studied the report of the investigatory chamber carefully and decided to institute formal adjudicatory proceedings against Mr Sandrock," a FIFA statement said.
Fifty-nine-year-old Sandrock will now be given the opportunity to submit his position and any evidence he may have, and he can also request a hearing.
No exact details about his alleged offences have yet been revealed due to the "presumption of innocence".
Another of the six officials placed under investigation in March, FIFA Council member Wolfgang Niersbach, has already been banned from football for a year.
The German has announced that he intends to appeal the sanction, handed out for failing to report possible misconduct as part of an investigation into the 2006 World Cup.
The UEFA Executive Committee member and former DFB President served as vice-president of the Organising Committee and was found guilty of two breaches of the ethics code.
Franz Beckenbauer, the World Cup winning captain and coach who led the Organising Committee for the tournament, is also among those being investigated.
The remaining three are Theo Zwanziger, who used to be a member of the Executive Committees of both UEFA and FIFA, ex-DFB secretary general Horst Schmidt and Stefan Hans, who was the chief financial officer of Germany 2006.
No decisions have yet been reached against the remaining four men.
FIFA's probe followed allegations that a slush fund of €6.7 million (£5.6 million/$7.4 million) was set up in order to bribe members of FIFA’s ruling Executive Committee in the 2006 World Cup bid race, made in the Der Spiegel magazine.
An independent report into the accusations, commissioned by the DFB and conducted by law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, which was published in March, found no clear evidence that votes were bought but also suggested the possibility cannot be ruled out due to the amount of files and documents that could not be obtained.
Earlier this month, Swiss Federal prosecutors announced their own investigation into the World Cup.
Beckenbauer, Niersbach, Zwanziger and Schmidt were all named as part of the probe.
A spokeswoman for the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) said the move was part of an "ongoing operation" in a wider investigation into the Organising Committee for the tournament.