Banned UEFA President Michel Platini will learn whether he has a future as a member of the top brass within world football when the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) delivers its verdict on his appeal against his six-year suspension tomorrow.
Platini, along with former FIFA head Sepp Blatter, was originally banned from football for eight years in December following an alleged “disloyal” payment of CHF2 million (£1.5 million/$2 million/€1.8 million) made to the Frenchman by the Swiss in 2011.
Their respective sanctions were controversially cut by two years by the FIFA Appeals Committee in February.
But both men remain convinced they are innocent of wrongdoing and subsequently contested the ruling of the Ethics Committee to the CAS.
Due to Platini’s desperation to remain as head of European football’s governing body, his case has been moved up and the CAS will announce its decision on its website at 11am CET tomorrow.
The 60-year-old, who scored 41 goals in 72 appearances for his country, declared following a nine-hour hearing at the CAS on April 29 that he was confident he would prevail.
“I hope the outcome will be good,” he said.
“I am optimistic, we will win."
Blatter, who appeared as a witness at the Frenchman’s hearing last month, and Platini both face the possibility of having their suspensions extended by the CAS.
The former France international remains hopeful, however, that he will be able to complete his third four-year term as head of UEFA after he was re-elected in March 2015.
Platini was absent from UEFA's Congress in Budapest last week.
He was originally aiming to stand as a candidate for the FIFA Presidency but his ban denied him from entering a race eventually won by his former second-in-command at UEFA, Gianni Infantino.
The leadership of European football’s governing body remains up in the air, with Spaniard Angel Maria Villar currently serving as acting President.
If Platini is reinstated, he will be allowed to resume his duties at the Nyon-based organisation and would also be free to attend the European Championships in France in June and July - something which remains dear to his heart after he oversaw the expansion of the amount of teams at the tournament from 16 to 24.
Should the decision go against him, however, UEFA are set to hold further talks about their future direction when their Executive Committee meet on May 18, the day of the Europa League final between Spanish outfit Sevilla and English Premier League club Liverpool.
“I cannot predict what the decision will be,” UEFA interim general secretary Theodore Theodoridis told insidethegames here today.
“But we are ready for all possibilities."