The Malta Football Association (MFA) have been notified of a police investigation into their under-21 team’s match against Montenegro last week amid reports that it was fixed.
The UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifier was won 1-0 by Montenegro at Hibernians Ground in the Maltese town of Paola.
Nemanja Kartal’s 18th minute header settled the Group 1 tie in the visitors’ favour to ensure a second win in six matches.
In a brief statement, the MFA said that they have been informed of the police investigation into the contest.
"We are working closely with the authorities, and will not provide any further comment at this stage," the MFA said.
"As was the case in the past, we will do all in our power to protect the integrity of local football."
The Times of Malta reported on Monday (March 28) that police had summoned a number of Malta under-21 players for questioning on Sunday (March 27).
Montenegro went on to beat Belgium 2-1 on Monday, while Malta were thrashed 7-0 by Group 1 leaders Czech Republic on Tuesday (March 29).
UEFA have confirmed, meanwhile, that last week’s international friendly between Gibraltar and Liechtenstein traded normally despite suggestions circulating on social media that odd decisions were taken during the game and that an abnormally high volume of bets were placed on the game.
No irregular betting patterns were identified, with UEFA putting the high betting turnover for the match down to the fact that it was played on a very quiet evening of football globally.
Betfair, the world's largest internet betting exchange, have also confirmed to UEFA that they have no concerns over the match.
A statement on the Gibraltar Football Association (GFA) website stated: "There is therefore no substance to the social media rumours and both the GFA and UEFA are satisfied that no investigation is warranted."
Earlier this month, FIFA banned three officials in connection with the Lindile Kika match-fixing scandal in South Africa.
Kika, the former head of national teams at the South African Football Association (SAFA), was banned for six years by football's world governing body in October.
The trio banned after rulings by the Adjudicatory Chamber of FIFA's Independent Ethics Committee were former SAFA chief executive Leslie Sedibe, known as Ace, and referees officials Steve Goddard and Adeel Carelse.
Allegations of widespread match-fixing in tennis were revealed on the eve of the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year, in January.
An investigation by the BBC and Buzzfeed claimed that 16 players ranked in the top 50 in the world across the past decade have been repeatedly flagged as having potentially thrown matches.