Uzbekistan's Public Health Ministry has reportedly recommended that athletes from countries affected by Ebola are not invited to next month's World Wrestling Championships in Tashkent.
It follows the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) sending a letter asking Uzbekistan to clarify their position on the matter.
A FILA spokesman told insidethegames they "are gathering as much information about Ebola in order to understand the complexity of the situation, but at this time do not have any more information regarding these matters".
But following early reports that they had requested more time, a representative of the central Asian nation's sanitary authority confirmed they have now issued their advice.
"Given the current Ebola-related epidemiological situation, we have recommended the Organising Committee of the [World Wrestling] Championships abstain from inviting athletes from Ebola-hit West African countries," the representative told Russian news agency Ria Novosti.
More than 1,400 people have now died from the Ebola virus in Liberia, Nigeria, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
Cases have also been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo as the virus spreads from West Africa to the centre of the continent.
Seven wrestlers from Nigeria and two from Sierra Leone had requested to participate in the Championships, due to take place in Tashkent from September 8 to 14.
With the virus transmitted through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of the infected, the contact-based nature of wrestling would seem a means by which it could be transferred.
Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Liberia were all unable to take part in the Summer Youth Olympic Games here as a result of the epidemic, although two Guinean athletes did compete.
But two other Guineans, a judoka and swimmer, were banned from taking part on the grounds that the combat and water-based nature of their sports would boost the risk of the virus being transferred.
A Nigerian wrestler was also banned, although this decision was ultimately irrelevant following the withdrawal of the entire delegation.
Speaking this afternoon, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach admitted the issue had been a "major concern", adding he "hopes very much that by Rio 2016 the issue of the Ebola disease is resolved, and that the many measures that have been taken by the Governments in the four countries but also by the international community will help in this respect".
Bach singled out Guinea for special praise.
"I really would like to congratulate the National Olympic Committee of Guinea which took an exemplary decision of high symbolic relevance by making their affected athlete a Flagbearer at the Opening Ceremony," he said.
"This was a very strong message.
August 2014: Ivory Coast football team hit by ban on sports matches over Ebola fear
August 2014: Nigerian official criticises "unusual and demoralising" approach to Ebola virus
August 2014: Nigeria withdrawal from Nanjing 2014 because of Ebola crisis confirmed by IOC President
August 2014: Liberia withdraw and three athletes barred from competing as Nanjing 2014 Ebola fear rises
August 2014: Exclusive: Safety of competitors at Nanjing 2014 most important thing claims IOC after Ebola withdrawals