By Mike Rowbottom

David Weir won the Adidas Silverstone Half-Marathon today in a warm-up for next month's London Marathon ©Getty ImagesMarch 2 - David Weir, seeking to win a record seventh London Marathon wheelchair title on April 13, warmed up today with a third consecutive victory at the Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon in windy conditions which prompted him to describe the race as "the toughest half marathon I've ever done".

Britain's European 10,000 metres silver medallist Chris Thompson, due to make his competitive debut over 26.2 miles at this year's Virgin Money London Marathon, took the men's title in a course record 65min 08sec.

Weir, currently tied with Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson on six London Marathon victories, has claimed he will not stop racing until he's won a record seven London Marathons.

The six-times Paralympic gold medallist crossed the line in 49:44, more than five minutes ahead of second-placed Simon Lawson.

"I didn't blow up at any point on the course, and I felt better than I did this time last year," Weir said.

"I know I'm in good shape but the conditions prevented me from breaking my course record [45:20 set in 2012] today.

"I've been doing lots of indoor training on the treadmill but it's not the same as racing outdoors.

"The start was hard today because it was freezing cold, which means you're not warmed up properly, but my performance has put a smile on my face before I go to Portugal for a training camp next weekend.

"I know I can get more out of my training in the six weeks before the London Marathon."

David Weir, pictured winning the Paralympic marathon title in London two years ago, is seeking a record seventh London Marathon title next month ©Getty ImagesDavid Weir, pictured winning the Paralympic marathon title in London two years ago, is seeking a record seventh London Marathon title next month ©Getty Images

Thompson led from the gun and after just one mile was ahead of the rest of the men's field by 39 seconds.

He continued to record sub-five-minute miles - despite the windy, rainy conditions - and pulled further ahead with every mile.

By the time he crossed the line, clearly delighted to have broken the record and high fiving the crowds as he went, he had extended his lead to more than eight minutes.

"It was tough but really fun out there today," Thompson said.

"I hadn't run the course before so I felt quite disorientated by the windy conditions but it was still extremely enjoyable.

"I would have liked to have run under 65 minutes but you have no choice but to deal with the conditions and accept that there will be slow miles when you're running into the wind and faster miles when the wind's behind you.

"I've been altitude training to prepare for the London Marathon and only returned to the UK two days ago so I'm pleased with my performance and can now think about really going for it in London."

Weir's estimation of the day's challenge was echoed by the winner of the women's wheelchair race, Shelly Woods, who recorded 62:25 on her debut, just missing out on the course record of 62:09, set by Jade Jones in 2013.

Jones had to settle for second on the day.

"It was so windy out there - it was definitely the hardest race I've done," said Woods, who is also due to race in London next month.

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]

Related stories
February 2014: Weir has "desire" back in bid for seventh London Marathon win
February 2014: Weir bidding for seventh London Marathon title
January 2014: Weir foils Fearnley's 10-in-a-row on Australia Day
November 2013: Vergeer and Weir gain top honours at IPC Sport Awards
September 2013: Weir and Woods make it a British one-two at the Great North Run